User-agent: * Disallow: /

Thursday, December 14, 2006

A recovering Bob-oholic speaks...

In case some of you were wondering, I'm still alive. It's just that I've been extremely busy lately. Leadership took a lot out of me, especially with respect to school. Getting caught up with projects, reports and exam studying has been a challenge, but I am managing.

That said, I'd like to briefly comment on this from the Globe and Mail...

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he doesn't want an early election, but he'll be ready to go if the opposition forces one. Mr. Harper says he's seen no indication that Canadians want a spring election, but he warned his rivals that the Tories will not be caught off guard.

For his part, Mr. Dion says...

"I don't want to rush Canadians into an election. That's not what I want, but my duty is to make sure that my party will be ready for elections," he said.

---
So the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition agree that they don't want elections, but that their respective parties will be ready for a spring vote if necessary. OK. So two questions:
  1. Why is this news?
  2. Since neither the Tories nor the Liberals (who collectively represent 73% of the House of Commons) want an election, can we get on with the business of governing the country so that freakishly political students like me can study in peace and take a breather from this endless cycle of campaigning?

Just a thought...